BMW M5 Competition- best performance cars
The BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
The current M5 shocked everyone when it was revealed to be four wheel-drive. Any suspicions that the best super saloon over the past 30 years had forgotten its driver focused roots were quickly forgotten however, thanks to the regular M5’s brilliant driving dynamics.
The Competition version adds 24bhp over the standard car to deliver 616bhp from the familiar twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8 set up. The upgrades sound minimal but together they deliver a noticeable difference to the standard M5.
A firmer ride at slower speed is caused by a 7mm ride height drop and 10 per cent stiffer springs which also means the M5 hunkers down in the bends and provides improved cornering. Camber adjustment creates a precise turn-in and the steering is well-weighted, as a result the Competition feels much more nimble and agile than its size would suggest.
The price for the M5 Competition starts from £96,205, around £6,500 more than the standard car. It’s difficult to rationalise, especially when the regular M5 is so good, but if you want to best super saloon available, the Competition is the one to go for.
Top 10 best performance cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability this new Porsche 911 is a tour de force in the performance car market
- 32. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraAston Martin’s flagship amplifies everything that makes the DB11 special
- 43. Mclaren 600LT If you were one of the very few who thought the McLaren 570S wasn’t hardcore enough, meet the McLaren 600LT.
- 54. Ferrari 488 PistaThe combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven
- 87. BMW M5 Competition - currently readingThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 98. McLaren 720SMcLaren 720S supercar builds on the reputation of its 650 and 675 predecessors
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches