BMW iX review - Reliability and safety
With excellent safety credentials, along with a solid warranty and flexible servicing packages, the BMW iX should inspire confidence
Industry crash test body Euro NCAP awarded the BMW iX its highest five-star rating in 2021, with an impressive 91 per cent score for adult occupant protection and 87 per cent for child passenger protection. On-board safety assistance systems achieved a similarity impressive 87 per cent rating.
BMW’s Active Driving Assistant Pro package is offered as standard, and includes a host of semi-autonomous driving assistance aids. There is also a driver Attentiveness Assistant which monitors driver inputs for signs of fatigue and will flag a warning to take a break if necessary, while speed limit recognition technology is also part of the standard kit. Additional safety features are also available as part of the optional Visibility and Technology Plus packs, but these come as standard on the top-of-the-range M60 model.
The iX is too new to have featured in our 2022 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey. BMW itself has seen some improvement in the manufacturer rankings – moving up from a 21st-place finish (out of 29 brands) in 2021, to 16th position in 2022. The best-placed model for the German automaker was the popular 3 Series saloon, although it still only managed 32nd spot on a 75-car list.
BMW offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty, which includes free roadside assistance for the duration, while the high voltage battery is covered for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
BMW offers an individual three-year service plan for its ‘i’ electric range – owners pay £15 per month over three years to cover all scheduled maintenance.
In this review
- 1BMW iX reviewRemarkably capable in almost every area, the BMW iX is expensive to buy, but is a deeply impressive all-electric family SUV
- 2Electric motor, drive and performanceA surprisingly accomplished drive, the BMW iX is hard to fault on the road
- 3Range, charging and running costsIf you can afford to buy and insure it, the iX will reward you with fabulously low running costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe iX’s exterior design may put some off, but the interior quality and tech certainly have the wow factor
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spacePassengers in the iX will be supremely comfortable, although luggage space is a bit tighter than you might think
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingWith excellent safety credentials, along with a solid warranty and flexible servicing packages, the BMW iX should inspire confidence