Retro model is triumph of style and driving fun
The MINI is a motoring phenomenon, pure and simple. No other car mixes such desirability, fun and affordability – which explains why the brand enjoys resale values that are among the industry’s strongest.
It’s one of the best cars not only in the supermini class, but at any price – and the best news is that it’s built in Cowley, Oxon. All models combine retro looks and a unique cabin to deliver a package full of charm. Yet there’s substance to the MINI, too, as it’s all backed up by great dynamics.
Although the storming John Cooper Works model is one of our favourite hot hatches, the MINI is not all about performance. This Cooper is an excellent all-rounder, and even the entry One is fun to drive and full of character. There’s even a diesel, fuel-saving stop-start technology and the Clubman estate. MINI also pioneered the trend for personalisation, so owners can choose from endless accessories.
The brand’s success isn’t solely down to the cars – the ownership experience is brilliantly thought out. The tlc servicing packages are market-leading, and if you can’t afford a new model, the Cherished used car programme is one of the best in the business. These attributes explain why the MINI has become a global hit. Best in Britain? Best in the world more like.
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe fly the flag with eight of the finest new cars money can buy – all of which are assembled in factories on these shores!
- 2MINI - currently readingRetro model is triumph of style and driving fun
- 3Aston Martin VantageV8 stunner is one of the world’s best supercars
- 4Honda CivicUK-built hatch leads the way in family class
- 5Land Rover Freelander IILand Rover continues to set SUV benchmark
- 6Jaguar XFBig cat has caused a stir with one of its best yet
- 7Nissan QashqaiUnconventional family hatch is a surprise hit
- 8Lotus EliseNorfolk-built flier still at the top of its game
- 9Toyota AvensisDependable is family estate’s middle name
- 10Facts and figures