Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-1992
9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
Coupe-like looks and hatchback practicality ensured the Honda CR-X was one of the original stylish, compact three-doors. And in 1989, it was given the performance to match its looks, because this was the first model in the UK to benefit from Honda’s novel VTEC variable valve timing technology.
This clever engine had a modest 1.6 litres, but it offered 148bhp and revved to 8,000rpm. That doesn’t sound like a lot today, but back then it made the 130bhp Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 look puny. The long bonnet and cut-off tail gave the CR-X head-turning proportions, and although today the styling looks very eighties, it was way ahead of the curve in terms of design and engineering.
As with all Hondas, it featured race-inspired double-wishbone suspension for agile handling, while VTECs had distinctive ‘tele-dial’ wheels and a discreet bonnet power bulge. Fast, fun and with an addictively frenetic engine, the CR-X set the template for all future Type Rs.
Honda CR-X VTEC: key specs
Engine: 1.6-litre 4cylPower: 148bhpTorque: 142NmTransmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive0-62mph: 7.2 secondsTop speed: 138mphOn sale: 1989-1992
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC - currently reading9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.