Honda Civic Type R 2007-2010
8th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
Honda went space-age with its second-generation Civic Type R, codenamed FN2, with a swoopy roofline, angular lights and triangular exhausts. Inside, it was just as futuristic, due to an arcing dash with digital displays. The dash-mounted gearlever of old dropped to the transmission tunnel, so it wasn’t as instinctive, but shift quality was still spot-on.
Power remained virtually the same as in the previous-generation Civic Type R, at 197bhp, but the VTEC valve timing kicked in lower down the rev range, helping to make the performance even more accessible. Compared with its predecessor, this car was a bit heavier – but it was even more usable, with improved refinement and more practicality.
Stoke that scorching engine on the right road, and the Type R would come alive – and if that wasn’t enough for you, Honda’s motorsport partner Mugen tuned the Type R to 237bhp. With less weight, it’d crack 0-62mph in 6.0 seconds, while stiffer springs and dampers plus trick tyres meant it cornered at crazy speeds with real composure.
Honda Civic Type R 2007-2010: key specs
Engine: 2.0-litre 4cylPower: 197bhpTorque: 193NmTransmission: Six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive0-62mph: 6.6 secondsTop speed: 146mphOn sale: 2007-2010
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-2010 - currently reading8th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.