Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000
The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
This is the hot Civic genesis – the first family hatchback from Honda to wear the special Type R badge. It also set the philosophy from the start, with plenty of weight-saving features over the standard car. These included a hand-tuned 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine with – of course – the company’s soon-to-become famous VTEC system; a limited-slip differential; a close-ratio gearbox to make the most of the 182bhp output; and extra welding on the chassis to stiffen up the bodyshell.
On top of this, and in order to save even more weight, there was no air-conditioning or electric windows, and not even a radio. The focus was on going fast and having fun, with the same great sensory experience from behind the wheel.
The Type R EK9 came only as a three-door, and was never officially sold in the UK – although thanks to exposure on various racing games, the EK9 was a desirable and rare hot hatch so plenty of grey imports found their way over here. This generation of hot Civic was and remains so pure, with a perfect balance of power, grip and feel, that meant it was a hit straight out of the box.
Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000: key specs
Engine: 1.6-litre 4cylPower: 182bhpTorque: 160NmTransmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive0-62mph: 6.5 secondsTop speed: 135mphOn sale: 1997-2000
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000 - currently readingThe original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.