Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001
The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
Honda’s racy Integra is a rare sight on these shores, but when it landed on UK soil in 1997 it gave buyers their first glimpse of the now-legendary Type R badge. It’s the original DC2 version that’s regarded as the purest, although the later DC5 was still a wonderfully precise car to drive, and formed the basis of the racer that Matt Neal took to consecutive British Touring Car Championship titles in 2005 and 2006.
With its racy coupe looks and a bare cabin that put the focus firmly on fun, the Integra Type R offered a thrillingly hardcore drive. The original’s compact, lightweight body tipped the scales at a mere 1,060kg, and with minimal sound deadening and a 197bhp 1.8-litre VTEC engine, it sounded every inch the touring car racer, too.
It was fast, with 0-62mph taking 6.2 seconds, but the Integra Type R’s grin factor came from its handling. It’s incredibly trick underneath: double-wishbone suspension all round, extra chassis bracing, thicker anti-roll bars and a 15mm-lower ride height combined to deliver an intoxicating experience that, for many, makes this the best front-wheel-drive performance car ever.
Honda Integra Type R : key specs
Engine: 1.8-litre 4cylPower: 187bhpTorque: 178NmTransmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive0-62mph: 6.2 secondsTop speed: 145mphOn sale: 1995-2001
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001 - currently readingThe hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.