19. Nissan Almera: The Sweeney
Comedian Phil Cornwell of Dead Ringers fame takes on the role of Jack Regan in this Sweeney spoof. Full of cockney rhyming slang and comically terse banter, the ad focuses on an action-packed high-speed drive to a bank job set to the theme tune from the TV series. “What the heck’s this?” growls Regan at one point. “The jam jar? It’s an Almera… lovely little mover,” replies the spoof Carter. The exchange can only end one way: “Shut it!”
The expert view
“Another really funny ad that sums up the lad and Loaded culture of the time. It’s well acted and gets to show the car in an exciting way with the thrill of the chase – allowing you to do the things you want to do in an advert but normally can’t.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car