Toyota Prius CVT automatic
It wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
It wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes. With its theoretically infinite number of ratios, it promised unrivalled performance and efficiency. Yet developments in torque convertor autos and the rise of twin-clutch transmissions has left the CVT in the shade.
However, if you’re willing to learn and are happy to adapt your driving style, then this clever gearbox makes plenty of sense. It works particularly well in the Prius, where the combination of electric power and ‘stepless’ ratios make for smooth progress. Once you learn to use the powertrain’s torque and to gently squeeze the throttle, the petrol/electric Toyota Prius can become strangely satisfying to drive.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automaticThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDKPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automaticOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automatic - currently readingIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronicFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S