Dacia Sandero - best superminis
The no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
Prices: £6,995-£8,800Engines: 0.9, 1.0-litre petrol; 1.5-litre dieselTrims: Access, Essential, ComfortEconomy: 42.2-62.7mpgCO2: 98-130g/km0-62mph: 11.1-14.2 seconds
Lying at the opposite end of the supermini spectrum to Volkswagen’s premium Polo, the Dacia Sandero is a decidedly utilitarian choice, and it’s officially the cheapest new car on sale in UK showrooms.
The Sandero is built to a (very low) price point using underpinnings related to the Mk2 Renault Clio. Equipment is in short supply, the interior is pretty basic and it’s not exactly a joy to drive – but this is still a capable package given its sub-£7,000 starting price. Entry-level Access models don’t even get a stereo, although a step up to Essential trim brings enough kit to make things bearable.
In fact, it’s likely that the Sandero will exceed your expectations of what a cheap small car can offer. There’s a good-sized boot and the interior is comfortable enough – especially if you’re familiar with the older Clio on which this model is based.
The 0.9-litre petrol engine is the most modern, offering adequate (if not dazzling) performance, decent economy and the best refinement of the range at higher speeds. However, if you do a lot of motorway miles, tyre roar and wind noise will prove tiresome.
If your needs are fairly modest and you’re not bothered by the badge – or by the four-star Euro NCAP crash test rating when most rivals have five stars – the Dacia Sandero is simply the best-value choice available.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford FiestaThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT IbizaThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-doorThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen PoloIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia Sandero - currently readingThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota YarisThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain