Ford EcoSport review - Interior, design and technology
Much of the interior design is taken from the Fiesta, and the overall quality is now much improved
Since the major revisions at the start of 2018, the EcoSport has shared its basic interior layout with the latest Ford Fiesta, and the extensively redesigned cabin is the most impressive aspect of the SUV. Most of the switchgear on show is plucked straight from the Fiesta, with a similar tablet-style infotainment screen perched on top of the centre console. Just as in the firm’s big-selling supermini, it’s extremely slick to use, while the screen resolution is bright and sharp.
Alongside a new, clearer instrument panel are some decent interior plastics, which make the EcoSport's cabin a much nicer place to sit than in the previous model. It leaves you with a general feeling that the EcoSport is edging closer to the likes of the SEAT Arona, Kia Stonic and Peugeot 2008, but the facelift cannot work miracles, and many of the rivals have much more of an upmarket, plush feel than the Ford.
Standard equipment is pretty generous with the entry Titanium trim including 17-inch alloy wheels, auto headlights and wipers, rear parking sensors and cruise control. The ST-Line cars add sports suspension, a styling kit and upgraded upholstery, while the Active versions feature chunky black exterior trim to help give more of an off-roader look.
Sat-nav, stereo and infotainment
For the 2018 update, Ford upgraded the tech to include the SYNC 3 touchscreen infotainment system, available now in 8-inch size across the range. It comes complete with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and a DAB radio. The £600 X-Pack includes, among other luxuries, a ten-speaker B&O audio system.
In this review
- 1Ford EcoSport reviewWith below-par practicality and uninspiring road manners, the Ford EcoSport can’t match the best small SUVs
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe EcoSport isn't Ford's finest moment, with a compromised ride and little dynamic polish
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsFuel economy and emissions for the Ford EcoSport are average at best, but at least insurance costs are reasonable
- 4Interior, design and technology - currently readingMuch of the interior design is taken from the Fiesta, and the overall quality is now much improved
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe EcoSport isn't the roomiest choice - it's left trailing for rear passenger space and boot capacity
- 6Reliability and SafetyProven Ford mechanicals mean the EcoSport should be a reliable choice, but there could be more safety kit as standard