Honda S800 1967-1970
At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.
The S800 was the UK’s first Honda, hitting our shores in 1967. But the story of the brand’s sports cars had started four years earlier with its first-ever production model: the S500. This two-seater used Honda’s motorcycle expertise in its drivetrain. Powered by a 44bhp 531cc twin-cam four-cylinder that revved to a heady 9,500rpm, it featured chaindrive to the rear wheels and a 680kg kerbweight – although fewer than 1,500 were produced.
In 1964, the more potent S600 arrived, with 606cc and 57bhp. This was offered as a roadster or coupe, and became the first mass-produced Honda – 13,000 were built.
Then came the S800. Later versions had a conventional driveshaft and a live rear axle, while the 791cc twin-cam made 70bhp, so it hit 100mph. Honda’s motorcycle tech meant the engine revved to 10,000rpm.
Honda S800: key specs
Engine: 791cc 4cylPower: 70bhpTorque: N/ATransmission: Four-speed manual, rear-wheel drive0-62mph: 13.5 secondsTop speed: 100mphOn sale: 1967-1970
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC