Nissan Micra review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Micra boasts respectable fuel economy and should be cheap to insure
The switch to WLTP testing has narrowed the economy gap between diesel and petrol engines, and the 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol is definitely better suited to the Micra. The shorter distances most superminis cover mean that petrol will be a better option for the long-term life cycle. The new 99bhp turbocharged unit with the five-speed manual gearbox delivers 50.4mpg, while even the 115bhp Micra returns a respectable 47.9mpg.
Emissions for the most powerful 115bhp engine are 133g/km, while CO2 figures for the 99bhp engine vary depending on wheel size, but start from 126g/km for the manual version and 140g/km for the CVT auto.
The Micra isn’t just efficient, it’s also cheap to keep on the road thanks to some low insurance group ratings. If you go for the entry-level 1.0-litre car in Visia+ trim, it sits in group 1E, which is very appealing for young drivers.
The least powerful 1.0-litre petrol is unsurprisingly in the lowest insurance group of the range, while the DIG-T 117bhp version sits in group 11. The Micra still remains cheaper to insure than the VW Polo, which can only manage as low as group 8 and goes all the way up to group 28.
Residual values are the strong point of the rival VW Polo, which can retain up to 48% of its value after three years. The Micra is around 10% behind for resale values, while new prices are similar to the Polo's, so you'll lose more money over three years/36,000 miles of ownership.
In this review
- 1Nissan Micra reviewNew turbocharged engines give the stylish and safety-conscious Micra a much needed boost
- 2Engines, performance and driveLatest Micra is better to drive than ever, although it’s not best in class
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingMicra boasts respectable fuel economy and should be cheap to insure
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Micra’s up-to-date cabin matches the smart exterior look, with plenty of customisation options
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Micra features a practical boot, designed for the most common uses
- 6Reliability and SafetyImpressive standard safety kit is a big plus for the Micra