SEAT Ibiza - best superminis
The latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
Prices: £15,500-£19,350Engines: 1.0 petrol (79, 94, 113bhp); 1.6 dieselTrims: SE, SE Technology, FR, FR Sport, XCELLENCE, XCELLENCE LuxEconomy: 44.1-60.1mpgCO2: 100-112g/km0-62mph: 9.3-14.7 secs
SEAT’S latest Ibiza has a lot going for it: sporty looks, strong VW Group engines and a chassis that provides sharp handling without compromising on comfort. Based on the latest iteration of Volkswagen’s MQB platform, the Ibiza also offers a well-packaged interior, up-to-date safety kit and a good dose of big-car refinement.
The Ibiza was crowned Best Supermini at our New Car Awards back in 2017, and it still competes at the top of the class today: only the Ford Fiesta offers a better blend of talents. An excellent range of engines includes peppy petrols and punchy diesels, all of which serve up decent fuel economy.
Practicality is impressive, thanks to the Ibiza’s MQB packaging; rear legroom is great and boot capacity measures in at 355 litres with the back seats in place. Up front, meanwhile, you’ll enjoy a good driving position with plenty of room to get comfy.
The Ibiza is not too far off the Fiesta in most areas; if you prefer the SEAT’s sharper lines and sportier character, it’s a fine alternative.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford FiestaThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT Ibiza - currently readingThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-doorThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen PoloIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia SanderoThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota YarisThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain