Ford Fiesta - best superminis
If it’s driving involvement you’re after, the Ford Fiesta is the model to go for
Engines: 1.1L Ti-VCT 75PS, 1.0T EcoBoost 95PS, 1.0T EcoBoost 125PS, 1.0T EcoBoost Hybrid 125PS, 1.0T EcoBoost Hybrid 155PS, 1.5T EcoBoost 200PS
Trims: Trend, Titanium, ST-Line Edition, Active Edition, Titanium X, ST-Line X Edition, Active X Edition, Vignale Edition, ST-2, ST-3, ST Edition
The Ford Fiesta has long been the supermini to beat, consistently outselling rivals and remaining one of the UK’s most popular new cars. The latest version is the best yet, serving up an unbeatable mix of performance, practicality and standard equipment – while still delivering the genuinely fun driving experience for which the Fiesta has become famous.
There’s plenty of choice in the range, with three and five-door versions, each offering loads of boot and rear passenger space for a supermini. All specs are well equipped, with even the entry-level Zetec model benefiting from an eight-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus lane-keep assist, a heated windscreen and a leather steering wheel.
All engines are strong, but the 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol strikes a particularly fine balance between performance and economy, even in entry-level 99bhp guise; it delivers 0-62mph in 10.6 seconds, with average economy of 49.6mpg and 110g/km of CO2 emissions. There's also the stonking hot hatch ST variant with a 197bhp turbo three-cylinder engine to get your kicks.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 2Renault ClioThe fifth-generation Renault Clio is the best yet: refined, spacious and good value.
- 3Ford Fiesta - currently readingIf it’s driving involvement you’re after, the Ford Fiesta is the model to go for
- 4Toyota YarisThe stylish Toyota Yaris is a strong supermini contender - with good looks, frugal hybrid engines and generous levels of standard equipment.
- 5Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa looks better than it ever has, while the comfortable interior includes good-quality trim and up-to-date tech.
- 6Peugeot 208Peugeot faces high expectations for the new 208 supermini, and on many levels it succeeds.
- 7MINI 5-doorThe MINI is an upmarket and fashionable hatchback, combining attractive retro styling with a great driving experience.
- 8Skoda FabiaComfortable, practical and with a strong range of engines, the Skoda Fabia is hard to fault.
- 9Volkswagen PoloThe sixth-generation Volkswagen Polo is more like a shrunken Golf than ever before.
- 10Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 11Citroen C3The Citroen C3 majors on comfort and is a strong contender in the supermini class