Volkswagen Polo - best superminis
It's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- Prices: £15,735-£23,160
- Engines: 1.0 (64, 79, 94, 113bhp), 2.0-litre petrol; 1.6-litre diesel
- Trims: SE, Beats, R-Line, SEL, GTI, GTI Plus
- Economy: 38.7-57.6mpg
- CO2: 97-141g/km
- 0-62mph: 6.7-15.4 seconds
Although it’s classed as a supermini by modern standards, the latest Volkswagen Polo has grown to be about the same size as the Mk5 Golf sold from 2004 to 2009. The result is a small car that feels spacious and grown-up, while its up-to-date MQB platform brings an array of great engines and a polished driving experience.
You’ll pay a premium to enjoy the Polo’s top-quality build and desirable badge – especially if you choose a higher trim level – but its breadth of ability is more than worth the outlay. All models are relatively well equipped, with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, all-round electric windows, 15-inch alloys and a leather steering wheel. We’d stick with the entry-level SE model; opt for this and the 1.0-litre TSI 95 petrol engine, and you’ll get the best combination of performance and economy.
The Polo is only sold as a five-door and there’s the rear space to match; it’s a supermini that could stand in as a small family car if required. If you can afford it, this is one of the class’s finest choices.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford FiestaThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT IbizaThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-doorThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen Polo - currently readingIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia SanderoThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota YarisThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain