Aston Martin DB5, Goldfinger (1964)
BOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
Aston Martin DB5, Goldfinger (1964)/Thunderball (1965)/GoldenEye (1995)/Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)/Casino Royale (2006)/Skyfall (2012)
No other car is more closely associated with Bond than the DB5. It was his first company car, and its many gadgets came courtesy of MI6’s Q (famously played by Desmond Llewelyn).
For the DB5’s screen debut in Goldfinger, 007 (Sean Connery) uses tyre-slashing wheel hubs to disable the Ford Mustang of Bond girl Tilly Masterson (Tania Mallet), then tracks the Rolls-Royce of Auric Goldfinger (Gert Frobe) to a secret factory in Austria.
But it’s on Bond’s departure from the factory where the DB5 comes into its own. Bulletproof glass and a rear shield protect him from a hail of bullets, while oil and smoke dispensers are used in a bid to shake off the baddies. When that fails, Bond turns to the machine guns behind the indicators, while a button on top of the gearlever operates the ejector seat.
The car proved so popular that it returned in Thunderball, and sales of Aston Martins were boosted by the publicity.
The DB5 is a landmark in the Bond franchise and has been revisited many times, including an improbable race against a Ferrari F355 in 1995’s GoldenEye. And the most famous Aston in the world reappeared in the latest film, Skyfall.
- 1IntroductionWhat is the best James Bond car of all time? We've picked some of our favourites. What's yours?
- 2Aston Martin DB5 - currently readingBOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
- 3Lotus EspritBOND FACT: The Esprit that crashed into the sea was a mock-up fired by an air cannon.
- 4Sunbeam AlpineBOND FACT: The Alpine in Dr No was borrowed from a Jamaican resident and was one of only a few sports cars on the island.
- 5Aston Martin DBS￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
- 6Ford Mustang Mach 1￼￼BOND FACT: The Mustang chase was filmed on Las Vegas’ famous Fremont Street, which was still open to the public.
- 7BMW Z8BOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
- 8Aston Martin Vanquish￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
- 9Citroen 2CVBOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
- 10What the villains droveHe's behind you: some of our favourite vehicles driven by the villains