Best used family cars
The Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used family car: Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport
Our pick: Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport 2.0 Turbo D SRi VX-Line Nav (2018/67, 43k miles, £10,900)
Badge snobs really are missing a trick. The previous-generation Vauxhall Insignia took top honours in this category in our 2018 Used Car Awards, but with prices as low as £7,000, its replacement, the newer Insignia Grand Sport, has taken over the reins.
It’s not hard to see why, either. The Grand Sport is, in the right spec, a very good-looking car, with low-slung, sleek looks. Not that this impacts interior space, which is best described as ‘vast’; it’s so big, in fact, that Vauxhall has recently dropped its estate sibling.
There’s a huge amount of space in the back, which makes it easy to install kids into child seats, and the hatchback bodystyle ignored by premium rivals makes it a cinch to chuck bikes, buggies and beach towels into the 490-litre boot.
Interior quality is good on the whole, and buyers aren’t short-changed when it comes to equipment. There’s a bewildering array of trims to choose from, which is a blessing and a curse. But as a guide, mid-spec models such as SRi, SRi Nav or Tech Line strike the best balance between cost and kit.
The 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines are strong in any output, and the pair of 1.5 turbo petrols hustle the big hatchback along far more easily than you might expect. There’s also a 257bhp GSi version, but even though prices are tumbling, that particular model is still too expensive to recommend. Whichever Insignia you choose, it’ll ride smoothly and should be refined, making it an excellent choice for family motoring.
Welcome to the half-price Insignia. This car is barely two years old, but finance will cost you just £241 per month compared with £477 for a new equivalent – even with interest-free credit. Over the three-year contract, the used model from BuyaCar.co.uk will save £8,496. And if you want to own the car at the end of the contract, the final payment for the second-hand car is also much lower, at a more affordable £6,076.
Skoda Superb Mk3
The hatchback version of the Superb excels in all the same areas as the Estate, but it can’t quite keep pace with the Vauxhall’s value, even if it does trump it for space and quality. The Superb is also comfortable and is offered with a good range of petrol and diesel engines.
Do interesting, stylish and left-field family cars come any cheaper than the Saab 9-3? Low-mileage, last-of-the-line cars cost around £5,000, but there are hundreds for less than half that. Diesels are pretty economical, but Saab is synonymous with turbos, so a 2.0T in Aero trim is a desirable choice.
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminisThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family cars - currently readingThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020