Best used hybrid cars
The Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used hybrid car: Toyota Prius
Our pick: Toyota Prius (2016/16, 1.8 Hybrid Business Edition, 79k miles, £11,590)
The Prius has a fine reputation for environmentally-friendly motoring. It’s a great option if you’re looking to minimise your fuel bills without sacrificing other features, such as comfort or technology.
That’s because this fourth-generation Prius, which was introduced in 2015, moved to an all-new chassis, based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture platform. A sophisticated suspension set-up delivers a refined ride and impressive body control, so while the Prius focuses on sipping fuel, it’s actually surprisingly good to drive.
The 1.8-litre petrol engine and electric motor set-up claimed sub-100g/km emissions at launch, and the 2016 example we found will be free to tax.
Business Edition spec is the trim level to go for. This features dual-zone climate control, LED lights, Toyota’s Touch 2 infotainment system, a colour head-up display, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, heated seats and even wireless phone charging.
The CVT gearbox means the engine can drone if you ask for maximum acceleration, but this is at odds with the Prius’s relaxed and efficient character. Keep things settled, and it’s perfectly refined and comfortable.
You can add practicality to its broad list of attributes too. The platform was designed with hybrid powertrains in mind, so the batteries don’t eat into space in the rear, while the 343-litre boot is still fair.
Just watch for high-mileage examples. Many Priuses have been used as taxis thanks to their efficiency. The batteries are known to be reliable, but we’d hold out for a lower-mileage model such as the one we found. Showing just over 79,000 miles, there should be plenty of life left in this car; and at £11,590 it’s a bargain.
Go for a reasonably new Toyota Prius, and while the cash price is high, strong residual values mean the monthly payments on PCP finance should be more affordable. Expect to pay around £247 per month on a three-year contract with a £1,750 deposit. However, those strong residuals mean that you’ll need to find £10,606 at the end of the contract if you want to make the optional final payment to own the car.
You can now pick-up a BMW plug-in hybrid from just £10,500. The 330e was the German brand’s first foray into PHEVs, but with emissions of only 44g/km yet 0-62mph possible in 6.1 seconds, you could have your cake and eat it. Just remember to charge up religiously to maximise efficiency.
Volvo V60 D6
There aren’t many diesel plug-ins around, but the V60 was Volvo’s first attempt at hybrid drive. Depreciation means this premium Scandinavian plug-in is now much more affordable and offers an interesting, refined and electrically assisted powertrain at a knock-down price.
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminisThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid cars - currently readingThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020