Best used large 4x4s and SUVs
The Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used large 4x4 and SUV: Kia Sorento
Our pick: Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi KX-2(2017/66, 54k miles, £15,860)
The Sorento is one of the roomiest seven-seat SUVs on the market today. It’s a comfortable family car and it offers decent value for money, although because of its size and weight, running costs can be a little higher than for some of its newer rivals.
But these more modern competitors aren’t as cheap to buy; a Skoda Kodiaq of the same age and mileage carries a £2,000 premium over the Kia, for example. Our pick is also a 2017 model, which means it’ll still be covered by Kia’s excellent seven-year warranty for another four years, which will provide great peace of mind for used-car buyers.
The engine range is simple, because there’s just one 197bhp 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel unit on offer, and every single model comes with four-wheel drive as standard, which means the Sorento stands up well to more utilitarian tasks, such as towing or light off-roading. Sure, it’s not as capable as a Land Rover Discovery, but for a road-biased SUV, it’s great.
The engine is paired with a six-speed manual gearbox, or an eight-speed auto on more generously equipped trims. Both options are good – the auto makes for a relaxing drive, while its short ratios mean the Sorento feels faster than its 9.1-second 0-62mph time suggests. Fuel economy stands at 39mpg, though, so while you might save a chunk over its rivals buying used, budget to spend a little more at the pumps.
Inside, the Sorento is upmarket, because it was the first Kia to offer a premium finish inside. The dashboard and door cards feature soft-touch plastics and gloss-black trim, while leather is standard on mid-range KX-2 variants and above. There’s a decent level of standard kit, too, including a seven-inch infotainment system, electric mirrors and parking sensors.
Big SUVs aren’t cheap in cash terms, but since PCP monthly payments cover the difference between a car’s initial price and its expected value at the end of the contract, the typically high resale values of SUVs mean they’re great value. Consequently, a Sorento could cost around £320 per month from BuyaCar.co.uk. Just remember that those high values mean an £8,645 bill if you want to buy the car at contract’s end.
The Kodiaq has been around for four years now, which means depreciation has set in, allowing you to net a 148bhp 2.0 TDI model in Skoda’s relatively well equipped SE trim for around £17,000. If you’re willing to opt for petrol power, then prices dip as low as £14,000.
Body-on-frame construction and a torquey 3.2-litre four-cylinder diesel mean the Shogun is hugely capable off-road, while trim and tech updates have kept it competitive. However, road manners have been sacrificed in pursuit of off-road performance, so it can feel a little wayward on tarmac.
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminisThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVs - currently readingThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020