4. Citroen C4: Transformers
A ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
A ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise – is doing stretching exercises in a car park. After carrying out a set of lunges against a handy sign, it jumps up and morphs into a Citroen C4. A funky dance tune comes on and the car changes back into a Transformer and starts dancing. “The new Citroen C4. Alive with technology,” says the voiceover.
The expert view
“This is CGI being used properly for the first time in advertisements. It captures the imagination of young drivers from the Transformers generation, and makes what is essentially a small car look big, scary and powerful.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: Transformers - currently readingA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car