Ford Fiesta - best superminis
The latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
Prices: £15,670-£22,900Engines: 1.0 (84, 99, 123, 138bhp), 1.1, 1.5 petrol; 1.5 diesel (84, 118bhp)Trims: Zetec, Titanium, Titanium X, Active 1, Active B&O, Active X, ST-Line, ST-Line X, ST-2, ST-3Economy: 40.4-60.1mpgCO2: 96-136g/km0-62mph: 6.5-13.8 secs
The Ford Fiesta has long been the supermini to beat, consistently outselling rivals and remaining one of the UK’s most popular new cars. The latest version is the best yet, serving up an unbeatable mix of performance, practicality and standard equipment – while still delivering the genuinely fun driving experience for which the Fiesta has become famous.
There’s plenty of choice in the range, with three and five-door versions, each offering loads of boot and rear passenger space for a supermini. All specs are well equipped, with even the entry-level Zetec model benefiting from an eight-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus lane-keep assist, a heated windscreen and a leather steering wheel.
All engines are strong, but the 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol strikes a particularly fine balance between performance and economy, even in entry-level 99bhp guise; it delivers 0-62mph in 10.6 seconds, with average economy of 49.6mpg and 110g/km of CO2 emissions. There's also the stonking hot hatch ST variant with a 197bhp turbo three-cylinder engine to get your kicks.
Sharp handling, a comfortable ride and good refinement add the finishing touches to a car that stands as a perfect all-rounder. We crowned the Fiesta Best Supermini at the Auto Express New Car Awards in 2018 – and it’s likely to take some beating at the 2019 event.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford Fiesta - currently readingThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT IbizaThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-doorThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen PoloIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia SanderoThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota YarisThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain