Porsche 911 - best rear-wheel-drive cars
It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
Few cars have the illustrious history of the 911. While the earliest examples had a reputation for knife-edge handling - and the widowmaker monicker was something that could be levelled at plenty of the later high-performance models - over 50 years of development by Porsche has transformed it into one of the greatest sports cars on the planet.
The current 911 is the '991.2' generation. That '.2' signifies the last update to the range, which added turbochargers across the board, not just for the high-performance Turbo-badged models. This update was an emissions-led change, but it hasn't neutered the 911 in any way. The reality is that any 911, from the entry-level Carrera to the ultra-exclusive GT2 and GT3 models, is a hugely entertaining drive, with engaging handling and fantastic responses.
All that weight over the rear wheels boost acceleration, while the rear-engine layout as steadily moved forward to improve the 911's balance. Today, it could still get tricky in the wet, but most of the time the 911 is simply an enjoyable rear-drive coupe that can be used everyday.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911 - currently readingIt's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive