Tesla Model S
Okay, so it doesn’t feature a gearbox in the accepted sense, but in the way it drives the Tesla beats the best for smoothness. Thanks to its powerful and torquey electric motor, the Model S only needs a single gear in its transmission, meaning the car accelerates with uncanny smoothness. Floor the throttle and there’s an uninterrupted surge of acceleration that gives the driver and passenger the feel of being fired out of a catapult.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automaticThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDKPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automaticOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automaticIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronicFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S - currently reading