Best used hybrid cars
The Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used hybrid car: Toyota Prius
Prices from: £4,000Our pick: Toyota Prius 2009 (59) 1.8 VVT-i T4, 80,000 miles, £6,950
That there was a Mk3 Toyota Prius on sale with more than 230,000 miles at the time of writing shows the longevity of these ultra-efficient hybrid cars. Go for one with fewer miles and you’ll pay a bit more, but you’ll be safe in the knowledge that few models have proven themselves so reliable over the years. You’ll also be making huge fuel savings, especially if you drive in town a lot, which makes the proposition even sweeter.
The Prius is one to avoid if you’re after a hybrid that also offers a fun driving experience (a BMW i3 range-extender is a better bet for that), but it has everything else you’d want, including refinement, low running costs, a spacious interior and a comfortable ride.
It’s no wonder you see so many used as taxis in towns and cities, where cabbies have flocked to the Prius for all of those reasons, plus its reliability. There are plenty on the market as a result, although if you buy one as a private driver expect a few people to try to flag you down for a lift every now and then. They’re popular with Uber drivers, and for good reason.
The 1.8-litre petrol engine is linked to an electric motor and drives the front wheels through a CVT auto box. The engine uses a special method of combustion called the Atkinson Cycle to achieve high fuel economy, and the battery that supplies the electric motor with power is charged using the petrol unit and the brakes as you drive around; there’s no need to plug in.
There’s no road tax to pay, because the Prius emits less than 100g/km of CO2, and you can expect upwards of 50mpg with careful driving. That’s a very cheap commute, and there’s enough space inside for a whole family as well. They’ll be relatively comfortable, too, because the ride is acceptable.
On the road: While it’s no driver’s car, the Prius is a refined and practical family car, plus it will be cheap to run.
Interior: Futuristic cabin styling matches the outside of the Toyota. There’s loads of room for all the family inside, too.
The Toyota Prius is the car that pretty much defined the hybrid sector, so it’s no surprise that it’s our pick here.
Put down £695 and on a three-year lease deal with BuyaCar.co.uk and you could pick up a used example for £200 per month.
Audi A3 e-tron
You can buy an Audi A3 e-tron from £12,000, which looks good value for an early example of plug-in hybrid technology. The A3 e-tron can be charged up at home, so there’s potential for big fuel savings if you don’t cover many miles. It’s also good to drive and the cabin is upmarket.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Another example of plug-in tech is Britain’s best-selling plug-in hybrid, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Its heavy weight means you need to be vigilant about plugging in to save fuel. It will interest lots of buyers due to its low running costs and practicality.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid cars - currently readingThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018