BMW 1 Series review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
The BMW 1 Series is a remarkably frugal choice, with low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy
One of the benefits of the 1 Series’ all-new platform is its ability to accept a range of frugal engines. The light weight and a range of turbocharged three and four-cylinder engines mean emissions are low and economy is strong.
The most efficient model in the range is the 116d, whose three-cylinder diesel returns up to 62.8mpg depending on gearbox and trim, and therefore wheel size and weight. CO2 emissions are 119g/km.
The 118d doesn’t lag too far behind, with CO2 emissions of 123g/km and economy of up to 60.1mpg. Given the minimal difference in economy over the 116d but significant increase in performance, it’s likely to be the best choice for diesel buyers. Opt for the more powerful 120d and economy drops to 57.6mpg; CO2 emissions are 129g/km.
Petrol models also fare well; the 118i returns a respectable 47.1mpg depending on spec, with CO2 emissions of 135g/km, while the hot M135i is remarkably frugal, with a maximum 36.2mpg and CO2 emissions sitting at 177g/km. The 128ti can muster 40.9mpg with a worst case emissions scenario of 170g/km of CO2.
The BMW 1 Series occupies insurance groups 21 to 36, with the 116d and M135i bookending this range.
Our experts expect that the BMW 1 Series will hold on to around 46% to 52% of its value after three years and 36,000 miles come trade-in time. This compares well against the Mercedes A Class, whose value after the same period will range between 43% to 51%.
In this review
- 1BMW 1 Series reviewThe BMW 1 Series is one of the best premium hatchbacks on sale, offering a combination of performance, efficiency and driver thrills
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe switch to front-wheel drive hasn’t dulled the 1 Series’ driver appeal – in fact, it’s better to drive than before
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingThe BMW 1 Series is a remarkably frugal choice, with low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe latest BMW 1 Series feels modern, high-quality and comes loaded with impressive technology
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 1 Series’ switch to front-wheel drive has improved cabin and boot space, but neither is class-leading
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe BMW 1 Series receives a full five star Euro NCAP rating, but some optional safety kit can be expensive