BMW 1 Series review - Reliability and safety
The BMW 1 Series receives a full five star Euro NCAP rating, but some optional safety kit can be expensive
The BMW 1 Series sits on a thoroughly modern platform that’s been tried and tested under the skin of a number of its stablemates, so there’s no reason to expect that the smallest 1 Series will suffer unexpected gremlins or perform badly in an accident.
Euro NCAP tested the 1 Series in 2019 and awarded it a full five stars for safety. Adult occupant protection scored 83%, with child passenger security at 87%
Standard safety kit includes Active Guard Plus – BMW’s collation of automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning and speed limit assist – along with cruise control, front and rear parking sensors and automatic headlights. The optional Driving Assistant pack cost around £1,000 and adds adaptive cruise with stop/go functionality and rear-cross traffic warning, amongst other active safety systems.
The 1 Series finished in 46th place out of a 75-car list in our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, while the manufacturer itself improved on 2020's 27th position, moving up to 21st spot in the 30-strong Best manufacturers poll.
BMW offers a three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty on all of its cars – a scheme that’s on par with Mercedes’ offering but superior to Audi’s mileage-capped warranty. BMW also provides roadside assistance for three years.
As with most premium manufacturers, BMW offers a range of fixed-price servicing packages designed to simplify the maintenance process. The BMW Pay Monthly Service Plan includes one free MoT, car washes, sat-nav updates, free fluid top-ups and seasonal health checks. With a £100 deposit and 31 monthly payments of £20, a 10,000-mile-per-year car will get a minor service at 15,000 miles/24 months and a major service at 30,000 miles/48 months.
In this review
- 1BMW 1 Series reviewThe BMW 1 Series is one of the best premium hatchbacks on sale, offering a combination of performance, efficiency and driver thrills
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe switch to front-wheel drive hasn’t dulled the BMW 1 Series’ dynamic appeal – in fact, it’s better to drive than before
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW 1 Series is a remarkably frugal choice, with low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe latest BMW 1 Series feels modern, high-quality and comes loaded with impressive technology
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 1 Series’ switch to front-wheel drive has improved cabin and boot space, but neither is class-leading
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe BMW 1 Series receives a full five star Euro NCAP rating, but some optional safety kit can be expensive