BMW 1 Series review - Reliability and safety
The BMW 1 Series receives a full five star Euro NCAP rating, but some optional safety kit can be expensive
The BMW 1 Series sits on a thoroughly modern platform that’s been tried and tested under the skin of a number of its stablemates, so there’s no reason to expect that the smallest 1 Series will suffer unexpected gremlins or perform badly in an accident.
Euro NCAP tested the 1 Series in 2019 and awarded it a full five stars for safety. Adult occupant protection scored 83%, with child passenger security at 87%
Standard safety kit includes Active Guard Plus – BMW’s collation of automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning and speed limit assist – along with cruise control, front and rear parking sensors and automatic headlights. The optional Driving Assistant pack cost around £1,000 and adds adaptive cruise with stop/go functionality and rear-cross traffic warning, amongst other active safety systems.
The 1 Series didn't feature in our 2020 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, although BMW will be expecting the latest model to finish positively next time around. The manufacturer itself will also be wanting better feedback next year, as it was voted into 27th place out of 30 car makers.
BMW offers a three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty on all of its cars – a scheme that’s on par with Mercedes’ offering but superior to Audi’s mileage-capped warranty. BMW also provides roadside assistance for three years.
As with most premium manufacturers, BMW offers a range of fixed-price servicing packages designed to simplify the maintenance process. The BMW Pay Monthly Service Plan includes one free MoT, car washes, sat-nav updates, free fluid top-ups and seasonal health checks. With a £100 deposit and 31 monthly payments of £20, a 10,000-mile-per-year car will get a minor service at 15,000 miles/24 months and a major service at 30,000 miles/48 months.
In this review
- 1BMW 1 Series reviewThe BMW 1 Series is one of the best premium hatchbacks on sale, offering a combination of performance, efficiency and driver thrills
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe switch to front-wheel drive hasn’t dulled the 1 Series’ driver appeal – in fact, it’s better to drive than before
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW 1 Series is a remarkably frugal choice, with low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe latest BMW 1 Series feels modern, high-quality and comes loaded with impressive technology
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 1 Series’ switch to front-wheel drive has improved cabin and boot space, but neither is class-leading
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe BMW 1 Series receives a full five star Euro NCAP rating, but some optional safety kit can be expensive