Mercedes-AMG C63 - best rear-wheel-drive cars
Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive
There's nothing like a thumping V8 under the bonnet, and AMG's 4.0-litre twin-turbo in the C 63 is one of the best in the business. It sounds mega, from a bassy rumble at idle to a hard-edge racing note at max revs, and it delivers massive punch. With 503bhp, the S model is rather traction limited when the electronic aids are switched off, and you'll need to get a loyalty card from your local tyre fitter if you do frequent smoky burnouts.
But rein in the power, and the C 63 is a great all-round super coupe. It doesn't quite have the track-focused edge of a BMW M4 Competition Pack, but it'll suit most needs. The seven-speed gearbox is great to use, while the cabin has the classy fit and finish you'd expect of a £60k+ Mercedes.
Even better is the fact the C 63 comes in a variety of guises. There's the aforementioned S model, a standard car with 'only' 476bhp, and both are offered in saloon, coupe, cabriolet and estate body styles.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63 - currently readingHeavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive