Mercedes E-Class review - Reliability and safety
Buyers will be reassured by the cutting-edge safety tech and clever protection systems on offer in the Mercedes E-Class
Euro NCAP awarded the E-Class a full five-star safety rating in 2016, with a strong 95% score for adult protection and 90% for child occupant security.
With autonomous emergency braking, tyre pressure monitors and nine airbags as standard, safety is strong on the E-Class. The entry Sport versions also includes the Active bonnet pedestrian protection system, which can detect an imminent collision and automatically raises the bonnet, along with Active Braking Assist, Blind Spot Assist and Traffic Sign Assist.
Other useful features offered as standard include rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, cruise control with a speed limiter, a reversing camera and Active Park Assist.
The E-Class didn't feature in our 2020 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, although Mercedes itself had a disappointing 28th-place finish in the manufacturer section.
All Mercedes cars come with a three-year unlimited mileage warranty, and with a vast dealer network across the country, if something does go wrong you won’t have to travel too far to get it fixed.
Depending on the age or mileage of your Mercedes, the dealer will carry out an ‘A’ or a more comprehensive ‘B’ service. Mercedes also offers its ServiceCare plan, which allows you to pay for your scheduled servicing costs in monthly installments. Prices start from £30 a month.
In this review
- 1Mercedes E-Class reviewThe Mercedes E-Class blends sumptuous comfort, refinement and tech in a stylish executive package
- 2Engines, performance and driveImproved efficiency and refinement is where Mercedes has made big strides with the E-Class
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe Mercedes E-Class plug-in hybrid model makes greats sense for business users
- 4Interior, design and technologyA high-quality cabin, plenty of practicality and lots of tech make the Mercedes E-Class easy to travel in
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWith a big boot and a roomy cabin, the E-Class offers plenty of practicality
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingBuyers will be reassured by the cutting-edge safety tech and clever protection systems on offer in the Mercedes E-Class