Mercedes E-Class review - Reliability and Safety
Cutting-edge safety tech and clever protection systems mean E-Class is arguably even more advanced than S-Class big brother
With autonomous emergency braking, tyre pressure monitors and nine airbags as standard, safety is strong on the E-Class.
You can improve things further with the Driving Assistance Plus package, which adds active brake and evasive steering assist to help avoid an obstacle in the road. Active blind spot assist and lane keeping also features while Pre-Safe Plus and Pre-Safe Side prepares the car for a collision to improve your chances of surviving unhurt.
This comes as part of the Driving Assistance Plus package and uses the adaptive cruise, autonomous braking, lane keep assist and steering pilot to drive autonomously at up to 130mph. You can even flick the indicator to automatically change lanes, with the car assessing its surroundings and the traffic situation before performing the manoeuvre itself.
Unfortunately, though, we won’t get this last system in the UK from launch due to traffic legislation, but watch this space in the future as it’s a clever feature that really does work, taking the stress out of driving.
However, it couldn’t match Jaguar’s second place overall result, so there’s still plenty of room for the German brand to improve.
As we’ve mentioned, quality is strong here, although not enough owners responded to our Driver Power survey for the E-Class to place in our top 75 ranking.
All Mercedes cars come with a three-year unlimited mileage warranty, and with 136 dealers across the country, if something does go wrong you won’t have to travel too far to get it fixed.
In this review
- 1Mercedes E-Class reviewThe Mercedes E-Class blends sumptuous comfort, refinement and tech in a stylish executive package
- 2Engines, performance and driveImproved efficiency and refinement is where Mercedes has made big strides with the E-Class
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsNew 2.0 diesel improves CO2 emissions to class-leading levels
- 4Interior, design and technologyHigh quality cabin, plenty of practicality and lots of tech make the new Merc E-Class easy to travel in
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceJoint biggest boot in class and a roomy cabin offer plenty of practicality
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingCutting-edge safety tech and clever protection systems mean E-Class is arguably even more advanced than S-Class big brother