12. Peugeot 405: Take my breath away
A field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
A field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background. That’s it. What causes the fiery explosions? Who is driving the car? Where is he driving to… or what is he driving from? What does it all mean? We can only guess. This advert is not about answering questions, it’s about high-octane, maize-exploding drama. And a French saloon.
The expert view
“A classic example of borrowing interest: everyone wanted to be Kelly McGillis or Tom Cruise from Top Gun, and it’s the Berlin tune that was number one for so long. The flaming billboard really sticks in the mind.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breath - currently readingA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
- 12Audi A4: Not my styleThe star here is a cocky yuppie. He is shown test-driving an A4, interspersed with shots of him playing squash and barking orders on a trading floor.
- 13VW Golf: Best left alone" It is a classic, iconic-looking car."
- 14Nissan Almera: Sweeney
- 15Toyota: A car to be proud of"Simply funny."