Peugeot 306 Rallye - best ever Peugeot Sport cars
Peugeot mixed together everything it had learned with the 205 and 106 Rallye in order to create the 306 Rallye.
Peugeot mixed together everything it had learned with the 205 and 106 Rallye in order to create the 306 Rallye. Taking the brilliant 306 GTi-6 as its base, this Rallye variant ditched the unnecessary day-to-day bits and pieces and focused on getting the most from its 167bhp engine and engaging chassis.
At the limit it had an edginess that could catch out the unwary. Yet by using the motor’s strong mix of torque and rev-happy top end, it never felt anything but poised and alert when it needed to be, and adjustable and pliable when a little more movement was required.
Engine: 2.0-litre in-line 4cylPower: 167bhp/6,500rpm Torque: 192Nm/5,500rpm Transmission: Six-speed manual, front-wheel driveWeight: 1,199kgTop speed: 137mph 0-60mph: 6.9 secsBuilt: 1998-1999
Top 10 best ever Peugeot Sport cars
- 1IntroductionOver the years, Peugeot Sport has built some truly amazing road cars - we count down our favourites
- 21. Peugeot 205 T16The original hyper-hatch and one of the most distinctive Group B World Rally Championship homologation specials, the 205 T16 is the most extreme road car Peugeot Sport has ever built, and a worthy number one.
- 32. Peugeot 205 GTiTo some, the 205 GTi is the greatest hot hatch of all time, and for many more it’s a car that’s never been bettered.
- 43. Peugeot 106 RallyeThe appeal of a great hot hatch has often been that it doesn’t rely on huge horsepower to deliver its magic, and Peugeot proved to be a master of this with its Rallye edition road cars.
- 54. Peugeot 306 Rallye - currently readingPeugeot mixed together everything it had learned with the 205 and 106 Rallye in order to create the 306 Rallye.
- 65. Peugeot 208 GTi 30th
- 76. Peugeot RCZ RThe first Peugeot road car to be developed by Peugeot Sport since the 205 T16, the RCZ R was the ultimate incarnation of the two-door, two-seater coupé.
- 87. Peugeot 309 GTiPeugeot’s hot-hatch back catalogue is so rich in elecrifying product, it feels criminal that the 309 GTi finds itself in seventh spot.
- 98. Peugeot 308 GTiIt doesn’t take long to appreciate the sharp chassis and responsive steering of the latest hot hatch to wear Peugeot’s famed GTi badge.
- 109. Peugeot 205 RallyeThe original Peugeot Rallye was initially available only as a left-hand-drive model and powered by a 1,294cc 102bhp four-cylinder
- 1110 Peugeot 405 Mi16Although it’s neither a hot hatch nor a GTi, the Peugeot 405 Mi16 is still more than worthy of its place in our Peugeot Sport road car top 10