SEAT Leon DSG automatic
Our compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
Our compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic. Like platform-sharing VW group sister models the VW Golf and Audi A3, the Leon uses the brand’s brilliant twin-clutch DSG gearbox, which is slick and responsive performer.
We’d steer clear of the older and slightly clunky six-speed unit used in more powerful FR and Cupra model, and go for the smooth seven-speed unit. It’s available with a range of petrol and diesel engines, but makes the most sense with the eager and efficient 1.2-litre TSI.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automaticThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDKPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automatic - currently readingOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automaticIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronicFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S
- 11McLaren 650S