Best used electric cars
The Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best electric car: Nissan Leaf
Prices from: £6,250Our pick: Nissan Leaf 2014 (14) Acenta, 20,718 miles, £5,995
Electric vehicles are here to stay, and although EVs are still in their infancy, there are a few brands that have been pioneering this type of car over the last five years or so. Nissan is one of them, with its Leaf family hatch.
It’s the first EV success story, and you can pick up an updated version of the world’s best-selling electric car for seriously attractive money. With prices below £6,500 even for 2014 models, the Leaf represents incredibly cheap motoring, both to buy and to run.
Most owners only use them for shorter trips, so there are cars that haven’t covered many miles given their age. We found editions just a few years old with fewer than 20,000 miles at some bargain prices.
It’s worth mentioning the battery pack. You’ll need to discover whether it is included in the price of the used model you’re buying or whether there’s a separate battery lease attached to the Leaf.
Like all EVs, the Leaf is very quiet at low speed, and performance is good. It’s delivered instantly when you squeeze the throttle, so there’s no lag as the Leaf zips between rest and 30mph with surprising urgency.
It’s not at the expense of comfort, because while the ride isn’t as smooth as that of a conventional family car such as a VW Golf, there’s just enough compliance that it is bearable in town. That makes it a great commuter car, with the single-speed auto gearbox meaning dealing with traffic is simple.
Then there’s the huge cost saving you’ll make running an EV. An average commute will easily be covered by the 24kWh Leaf’s 124-mile range, but later models are available with a 30kWh battery that extends this to 155 miles. That means at today’s prices, even the 30kWh version shouldn’t cost any more than £4 to charge.
On the road: Most owners use their Leaf for commuting. It’s great in this role thanks to auto box and nippy acceleration.
Interior: Nissan’s EV is comfy enough around town for the family and the electric motor means the cabin is quiet, too.
Early EVs tended to have a high price of entry due to the expensive tech that was in its early stages, but cars such as the Nissan Leaf have now dropped to levels less than a family hatch, while running costs will be super low as well.
Put £600 down and you could walk away with a Leaf in Acenta trim for just £128 per month on PCP finance. This is one way to keep you motoring bills minute.
The i3 revolutionised the electric vehicle market place and even as a second-hand buy BMW’s EV is genuinely desirable. Super performance around town is offset by a firmer ride, but around 125 miles real-world range should be easily possible from the quirky-looking hatchback.
With no loss of practicality over the regular Volkswagen up! for space, a 99-mile range and an 81bhp motor (more than any non-turbo version of the regular up!), the e-up! is a simple solution to a complex problem – as long as you don’t have to venture too far out of town.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric cars - currently readingThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018