Toyota Yaris review - Reliability and safety
Yaris customers can be reassured by excellent reliability and good safety kit, all backed up by a generous warranty package.
Toyota has long been known for producing cars that are reliable, with solid build quality and good levels of safety. In our 2020 Driver Power survey, the Yaris finished in 43rd position out of a 75-car list, which was up from 59th place in 2019. Toyota itself was voted into 6th spot out of 30 manufacturers, again an improvement from the previous year’s 10th place and well ahead of premium manufacturers such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
Euro NCAP has awarded the Yaris a full five stars for safety, with some impressive individual scores: Adult and child occupant protection were rated at 86% and 81%, respectively.
The Yaris has lots of safety kit as standard, including active systems such as a Pre-Collision function with cyclist and pedestrian detection, Road Sign Assist, Emergency Steering Assist and a Driver Attention Alert. Entry-level cars also come with a reversing camera, Automatic High Beam and Toyota’s e-call emergency call system.
All Toyota models are covered by a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty. The battery for the hybrid powertrain in the Yaris is also subject to an additional year or 10,000 miles of cover – this can be renewed up to the 15th anniversary of the date of registration and there's no mileage limit.
Yaris customers can take out a Toyota Service Plan which allows you to spread the cost of scheduled maintenance over monthly payments.
In this review
- 1VerdictWith sharper styling and frugal hybrid-petrol engines, the Toyota Yaris is ready to compete with the best in the supermini class.
- 2Engines, performance and driveToyota is confident the efficient petrol-hybrid engine in the Yaris will prove to be a winner with customers.
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsToyota has designed the Yaris with low running costs firmly in mind.
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Yaris features striking good looks and decent levels of standard equipment, although the bleak interior doesn’t inspire.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Yaris is a comfortable, sensible supermini, but rivals have bigger boots and offer more practicality.
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingYaris customers can be reassured by excellent reliability and good safety kit, all backed up by a generous warranty package.