Toyota Yaris - Reliability and safety
Yaris customers can be reassured by excellent reliability and good safety kit, all backed up by a generous warranty package
Toyota has long been known for producing cars that are reliable, with solid build quality and good levels of safety. In our 2022 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, the Yaris finished in 22nd out of 75 on the best cars to own list, which was down from 21st position in 2021. Toyota itself was voted into 10th spot out of 29 manufacturers, which was also down on the previous year's fifth place, but still well ahead of premium brands such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
Euro NCAP has awarded the Yaris five stars for safety, with some impressive individual scores: adult and child occupant protection achieved 86 per cent and 81 per cent, respectively, while the car's onboard safety assist tech was given an 85 per cent rating.
The Yaris has lots of safety kit as standard, including active systems such as a Pre-Collision function with cyclist and pedestrian detection, Road Sign Assist, Emergency Steering Assist and a Driver Attention Alert. Entry-level cars also come with a reversing camera, Automatic High Beam and Toyota’s e-call emergency call system.
Toyota provides a standard three year warranty for the Yaris, with the opportunity to extend the cover for an extra 12 months/10,000 miles every time you have the car serviced at an authorised Toyota repairer – up to a maximum of ten years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).
Toyota says the fourth-generation Yaris needs servicing once a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Yaris customers can take out a Toyota Service Plan which allows you to spread the cost of scheduled maintenance over monthly payments.
In this review
- 1VerdictAn efficient hybrid powertrain and plenty of standard kit make the Toyota Yaris a key contender in the supermini segment
- 2Engines, performance and driveToyota is confident the efficient petrol-hybrid engine in the Yaris will prove to be a winner with customers
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsToyota has designed the Yaris with low running costs firmly in mind
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Yaris features striking good looks and a decent level of standard equipment, although the bleak interior doesn’t inspire
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Yaris is a comfortable, sensible supermini, but rivals have bigger boots and offer more practicality
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingYaris customers can be reassured by excellent reliability and good safety kit, all backed up by a generous warranty package