Skoda Superb Estate - Best estate cars
The Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
The Skoda Superb Estate is a great estate car choice. Gone is the dowdy design of the previous model, replaced with sharp creases and a lower, wider body - yet the car is cheaper than all of its main rivals.
There's a wide engine choice, starting with a 1.5-litre TSI petrol, although we'd recommend either the 2.0 TDI diesel engine with 148bhp, or the 1.4-litre iV plug-in hybrid model delivering 215bhp.
As with the last car, the main selling point of the Skoda Superb Estate is its unrivalled practicality. The boot has grown from the previous model and now provides a cavernous 660-litre load area, or 1,950 litres with the seats down. That's on a level with cars like the Mercedes E-Class Estate.
For rear passengers, luxury is the order of the day - the Skoda Superb provides more rear legroom than every car across the VW Group, bar the long-wheelbase Audi A8. It's wider than the previous car too, making it a better choice for carrying three abreast.
If there's any criticism, it's that the interior design is a bit plain - and of course, the sheer size of the Superb Estate can make it tricky to park.
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 2Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 3BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 4Toyota Corolla Touring SportsThe Toyota Corolla Touring Sports is an extremely competent package, with efficient engines and great residuals.
- 5Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 6Skoda Superb Estate - currently readingThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 7Audi A6 AvantAudi's A6 mixes premium luxury with serious load-lugging capability
- 8Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 9Ford Focus EstateThe Ford Focus Estate delivers a fun-driving and family-friendly option at a sensible price
- 10Peugeot 508 SWThe versatile Peugeot 508 SW offers flexible and spacious practicality with a premium-feel interior
- 11VW Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate