Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Best estate cars
The latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
The make-or-break Vauxhall Insignia faces a battle to gain sales in a market where buyers are obsessed with badge prestige or are tempted by the current trend for crossovers. It has been designed to move the model upmarket, so not only does it look sharper, it's bigger, too, and that really benefits the Sports Tourer estate variant.
There's a 560-litre boot out back, but while that's 20 litres bigger than the Astra Sports Tourer, it's no great shakes against cars like the Skoda Octavia and Superb Estates, especially given the Insignia's large overall dimensions.
That's because some of the car's length has been given over to rear seat space, although again that's something the Skoda Superb Estate has it beaten for. Fold the seats flat and there's 1,665 litres of space, which is pretty good.
The real highlights of the Insignia are its plush interior and refined engines. The Whisper Diesels are efficient and punchy, and as the name suggests, they're relatively quiet, too. The 2.0 CDTi is available for those wanting a good tow car, while the efficient turbo petrols deliver a good mix of performance and economy.
The cabin is roomy, while tech highlights include Vauxhall's OnStar concierge service, which takes in-car functionality to another level.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - currently readingThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect