Volvo V90 - Best estate cars
The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
Volvo has a long history of building spacious family estate cars. Models like the 240 and 850 delivered function more than form, but they have been trusted by families over the years to deliver safe, secure driving manners.
But the V90 adds a new level of quality to the mix, too. It uses the same platform as the XC90, and its styling is similar, too, although the low-slung estate is arguably more stylish. Either way, a 560-litre boot is nice and large, with a 1,526-litre capacity with the back seats folded.
Still, there aren't many more spacious family estates on the market. Safety is a major plus point with the V90, too, with plenty of autonomous tech added to the mix. There are petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid versions available.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90 - currently readingThe V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect