Citroen 2CV, For Your Eyes Only (1981)
BOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
Bond can’t always rely on a glamorous supercar and Q’s clever gadgets to get him out of a sticky situation. When Bond (Roger Moore) and Melina Havelock (Carole Bouquet) are chased down a Spanish hillside by hired assassins, they have only a humble Citroen 2CV at their disposal.
Despite its unlikely credentials as a getaway car, plus a number of spectacular off-road excursions, the bright yellow machine manages to shake off a pair of pursuing Peugeot 504s, which boast far more power and grip.Yet there’s more to this classic Citroen than meets the eye.
For instance, in order to make the chase scenes more exciting, stunt driving maestro Rémy Julienne ditched the standard car’s feeble 602cc two-cylinder engine in favour of a more powerful four-cylinder unit from the Citroen GS.
The 2CV was also one of the only Bond cars to spawn a roadgoing version. Launched to coincide with the film’s release, the special- edition model was finished in the same yellow paint scheme and featured 007 logos on the doors and bootlid, plus a smattering of stick-on bullet holes. It’s now highly prized among 2CV enthusiasts, with mint examples fetching as much as £5,000.
- 1IntroductionWhat is the best James Bond car of all time? We've picked some of our favourites. What's yours?
- 2Aston Martin DB5BOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
- 3Lotus EspritBOND FACT: The Esprit that crashed into the sea was a mock-up fired by an air cannon.
- 4Sunbeam AlpineBOND FACT: The Alpine in Dr No was borrowed from a Jamaican resident and was one of only a few sports cars on the island.
- 5Aston Martin DBS￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
- 6Ford Mustang Mach 1￼￼BOND FACT: The Mustang chase was filmed on Las Vegas’ famous Fremont Street, which was still open to the public.
- 7BMW Z8BOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
- 8Aston Martin Vanquish￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
- 9Citroen 2CV - currently readingBOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
- 10What the villains droveHe's behind you: some of our favourite vehicles driven by the villains