BMW i4 review - Reliability and safety
Standard safety kit is good, while the i4 should be a dependable all-electric car
Industry safety body, Euro NCAP, has yet to test the i4, but based on BMW’s excellent safety scores for its other models, we think it should achieve a top five-star rating. The 4 Series Coupe model underwent crash test examination in 2019 and was given a 97 per cent score for adult occupant protection, while BMW’s all-electric iX SUV has also secured first-class safety status.
Standard safety kit for the i4 is excellent and includes BMW’s Driving Assistant package of camera and radar-based driver assistance systems that help prevent a potential collision. The optional Tech Plus pack offers an opportunity to upgrade to the Driving Assistant Professional system, which provides further semi-autonomous safety functions, along with a head-up display.
BMW hasn’t fared too well in our annual Driver Power customer satisfaction surveys, and the manufacturer won’t be pleased with being voted into 21st position out of 29 brands in the 2021 poll. For an automaker that prides itself on producing the ‘Ultimate driving machines’, it will want to see more of its models higher up the order in the Best cars to own survey - the 3 Series saloon was the best-performer in 2021, achieving 31st place on a 75-car list.
BMW offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty, which includes free roadside assistance, while the high voltage battery is covered for eight years or 100,000 miles - whichever comes first.
BMW offers an individual three-year service plan for its ‘i’ electric range - owners pay £15 per month over three years to cover all scheduled maintenance.
In this review
- 1BMW i4 reviewSophisticated, well-built and typically great to drive, the all-electric BMW i4 is an easy car to recommend
- 2BMW i4 review - Engines, performance and driveThe BMW i4 shows that an electric car can deliver plenty of driving feel and enjoyment
- 3BMW i4 review - Range, charging and running costsThe i4 costs more to buy than some close rivals, but should be relatively cheap to run
- 4BMW i4 review - Interior, design and technologyBuyers who prioritise good build quality and the latest on-board technology will appreciate the BMW i4
- 5BMW i4 review - Practicality, comfort and boot spaceFor a sporty Gran Coupe, the electric i4 offers decent practicality and plenty of comfort, although rear passenger space is a bit tight
- 6BMW i4 review - Reliability and safety - currently readingStandard safety kit is good, while the i4 should be a dependable all-electric car