MG HS review - Reliability and safety
With a five-star safety rating, reassuring seven-year warranty and improving customer feedback, MG HS ownership should be hassle-free
A real plus point of HS ownership is that the mid-size family SUV comes with excellent levels of safety kit, courtesy of the MG Pilot system fitted to all cars. This includes Active Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist with a Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Intelligent High Beam Assist.
The manufacturer’s focus on safety was recognised by a full five-star EuroNCAP rating for the HS in 2019, with a 92% score for adult occupants and 81% for child passenger protection.
Despite the HS being too new a model to be represented in our latest Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, the MG brand itself has shown encouraging improvement, moving up from 27th place in our 2019 best manufacturers poll to 20th spot in 2020. With cars such as the HS, MG5 EV and ZS EV now on sale, the 2021 survey should bring strong results.
MG now offers a seven-year/80,000-mile warranty for its vehicles, which is able to be transferred to any new owner until the limit is reached. Kia also includes seven years of warranty cover with a 100,000-mile limit, while Skoda vehicles are protected for three years and 60,000 miles
Service intervals for the HS are every 15,000 miles or annually - whichever comes first. MG service plans allow customers to spread the cost of scheduled maintenance by paying on a monthly basis.
In this review
- 1VerdictIf you’re after a keenly-priced family SUV with great levels of safety, then the MG HS could well hit the spot
- 2Engines, performance and drivePower seems reasonable enough on paper, but the HS 1.5-litre petrol engine is noisy and needs to be revved hard
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsThe HS offers below average day-to-day running costs, although the more expensive plug-in hybrid model brings better efficiency
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe updated cabin and higher-quality materials inside help the HS take the fight to the class leaders
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe HS offers plenty of passenger space, but its boot could be bigger
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingWith a five-star safety rating, reassuring seven-year warranty and improving customer feedback, MG HS ownership should be hassle-free