8. Renault Clio: Nicole and Papa
Few adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
Few adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did. This one saw Nicole having a makeover in preparation for a meeting with French actor Vincent Cassel – and encountering her father as she meets her date. In total there were eight ‘episodes’ in this ad campaign, airing between 1991 and 1998. The final instalment was a spoof of The Graduate, and saw Nicole leave Vic Reeves at the altar and run away with Bob Mortimer.
The expert view
“This clearly defined a target audience for a car, and it worked. It’s eminently watchable for guys as well as girls, and you end up with a ‘playground phrase’ that everyone repeated.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & Papa - currently readingFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car