Toyota RAV4 review - Reliability and Safety
Toyota's reputation for reliability bodes well; lots of standard safety kit
Like its predecessor, the latest RAV4 scored a full five stars in the Euro NCAP crash tests, scoring 93 per cent for adult protection and 87% for child protection.
All RAV4 models get Toyota Safety Sense 2 as standard. It brings adaptive cruise control with lane departure warning and steering assist, a pre-collision system including pedestrian detection, automatic high beam headlights and road sign recognition.
The latest RAV4 is too new to have featured in our 2019 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, but the outgoing model finished 38th out of 100 cars. A fairly low 8.8 per cent of owners reported experiencing a problem with their cars. Toyota itself finished 10th overall out of 30 manufacturers, beating big names Volvo, Audi and Mercedes in the process.
All Toyota models are covered by a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty. The battery for the hybrid powertrain in the RAV4 is also subject to an additional year or 10,000 miles – this can be renewed up to the 15th anniversary of the date of registration and there's no mileage limit.
Intermediate servicing starts at £185 for the RAV4, with a full service starting at £335, or £395 for a 'Full+' service. Toyota also offers a price match guarantee on new tyres. The RAV4's hybrid system is subject to extra diagnostic checks at service time, but Toyota doesn't charge extra for this.
In this review
- 1Toyota RAV4 reviewThe Toyota RAV4 offers unique styling, hybrid-only power and great build quality but it trails rivals in some key areas
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe RAV4 drives and rides well, but its CVT gearbox isn't fantastic
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsClever hybrid tech makes reasonable running costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe RAV4 looks great and is well-built inside and out, but lags behind on infotainment
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe RAV4 is longer and more practical than before, but some rivals offer more space
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingToyota's reputation for reliability bodes well; lots of standard safety kit