VW Passat Estate - Best estate cars
Upmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
The eighth-generation Passat Estate has attempted to bridge the gap between the family car class and premium models. It's based on an enlarged version of the VW Group’s versatile MQB platform, and it has more space than ever.
Lighter than the model it replaces, the Passat Estate also has improved fuel economy and CO2 emissions. However, the reality is that it sits in the middle ground in the executive estate market.
On the one hand it goes up against traditional competition such as the Ford Mondeo Estate, Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer and Mazda 6 Tourer, while on the other, Volkswagen has made the Passat posher than ever before so it can do battle with premium cars like the BMW 3 Series Touring, Mercedes C-Class Estate, Audi A4 Avant and Volvo V60.
This positioning is reflected in the prices, too. The entry-level Passat Estate S starts at around £1,500 more than the equivalent new Ford Mondeo Estate, while the range-topping Passat Estate R-Line costs about £2,000 less than a BMW 330d xDrive M Sport Touring.
At the very top of the tree is the Passat GTE plug-in hybrid, with prices sat around the £40,000 mark. That gets you a 1.4 TSI petrol engine linked to an electric motor and battery pack for a 0-62mph time of 7.6 seconds and official economy of 156.9mpg, which you could achieve if you plug it in every time it's parked.
There are a number of other engines to choose from. The cheapest is a 118bhp 1.6 TDI while further up the range there is a 2.0 TDI with 148bhp or 187bhp and a twin-turbocharged, high-performance 2.0-litre. Called BiTDI, this engine sits at the top of the range, has 237bhp at its disposal and only comes with a twin-clutch DSG automatic gearbox and 4MOTION all-wheel drive.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat Estate - currently readingUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect