VW Passat Estate - Best estate cars
Upmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
The eighth-generation Passat Estate has attempted to bridge the gap between the family car class and premium models. It's based on an enlarged version of the VW Group’s versatile MQB platform, and it has more space than ever.
Lighter than the model it replaces, the Passat Estate also has improved fuel economy and CO2 emissions. However, the reality is that it sits in the middle ground in the executive estate market.
On the one hand it goes up against traditional competition such as the Ford Mondeo Estate and Mazda 6 Tourer, while on the other, Volkswagen has made the Passat posher than ever before so it can do battle with premium cars like the BMW 3 Series Touring, Mercedes C-Class Estate, Audi A4 Avant and Volvo V60.
At the very top of the tree is the Passat GTE plug-in hybrid, with prices sat around the £40,000 mark. That gets you a 1.4 TSI petrol engine linked to an electric motor and battery pack. The plug-in hybrid delivers 215bhp and manages 0-62mph in 7.6 seconds. Volkswagen claims official economy of 201.8mpg, which you could achieve if you plug it in every time it's parked.
There are a number of other engines to choose from. The cheapest is a 148bhp 1.5-litre TSI petrol version, while further up the range there is a 2.0 TDI with 148bhp or 187bhp.
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 2Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 3BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 4Toyota Corolla Touring SportsThe Toyota Corolla Touring Sports is an extremely competent package, with efficient engines and great residuals.
- 5Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 6Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 7Audi A6 AvantAudi's A6 mixes premium luxury with serious load-lugging capability
- 8Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 9Ford Focus EstateThe Ford Focus Estate delivers a fun-driving and family-friendly option at a sensible price
- 10Peugeot 508 SWThe versatile Peugeot 508 SW offers flexible and spacious practicality with a premium-feel interior
- 11VW Passat Estate - currently readingUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate