BMW 3 Series Touring - Best estate cars 2019
Like the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect
BMW has a knack of producing engaging cars that are also able to deliver excellent efficiency. The 3 Series Touring builds on these foundations to add a healthy amount of practicality to the mix.
It's older than the 5 Series, but like that car it has plenty of tech onboard courtesy of a recent update. There's more connectivity than ever, while the iDrive system is one of the easiest cabin control systems to use when on the move.
In the back, there's decent space for back seat passengers, while the boot has 495 litres of space in five-seat mode. Fold the 40:20:40 folding seats, and there's a maximum of 1,500 litres of space, while a separate opening tailgate glass means it's easy to access in tight spaces.
Power comes from the same range of petrol and diesel engines as the 3 Series saloon, although there's no plug-in hybrid 330e Touring. There's no M3 Touring, either, so performance fans will have to settle for either the 340i or torquey 330d and 335d straight-six diesels. The latter comes with xDrive four-wheel drive as standard for added security.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series Touring - currently readingLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect