Skoda Superb Estate - Best estate cars
The Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
The Skoda Superb Estate is a great estate car choice. Gone is the dowdy design of the previous model, replaced with sharp creases and a lower, wider body - yet the car is cheaper than all of its main rivals.
There's a wide engine choice, starting from a 1.4-litre petrol that sounds as if it should struggle with the car's vast bulk. It's not a problem, though, as the 123bhp unit can hold its own. For most people though, we'd recommend one of the diesels - the 2.0 TDI diesel engine with 148bhp is our pick of the range. It's a good car to drive too, with neat handling and a comfortable ride.
As with the last car, the main selling point of the Skoda Superb Estate is its unrivalled practicality. The boot has grown from the previous model and now provides a cavernous 660-litre load area, or 1,950 litres with the seats down. That's on a level with cars like the Mercedes E-Class Estate.
For rear passengers, luxury is the order of the day - the Skoda Superb provides more rear legroom than every car across the VW Group, bar the long-wheelbase Audi A8. It's wider than the previous car too, making it a better choice for carrying three abreast.
If there's any criticism, it's that the interior design is a bit plain - and of course, the sheer size of the Superb Estate can make it tricky to park.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb Estate - currently readingThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect