Volvo V60 - Best estate cars
The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
For car buyers, the latest generation of Volvos are hard to ignore and the new V60 is no exception. Great styling and excellent tech are two of its strong points, but its comfort and safety help it shine in a fiercely competitive class.
Open the tailgate and there is a large 529-litre boot – trumping the A4 Avant and BMW 3 Series Touring – with a wide floor devoid of an inconvenient load lip. The rear seats fold down at the press of a button and come to rest almost flat, increasing luggage space to 1,441 litres.
Similar to its German rivals, the V60’s transmission tunnel hampers space for the middle rear passenger, but six-footers should have no problem sitting in the outer seats, even if there is an equally tall person in the front.
On the open road, the V60 offers a comfy ride – Volvo doesn’t even try to claim that the V60 is sporty. This makes it the complete opposite of the BMW 3 Series Touring, which is a thrilling estate to drive. Which one you prefer, will ultimately come down to the type of driving experience you are looking for.
One complaint with the V60 is that Volvo has followed the trend set by its German rivals by having much of the more desirable equipment only optional in the lower trim levels, so be careful with the configurator.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60 - currently readingThe Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect