Audi's greatest Quattros
Audi's new RS5 has been launched on the 30th anniversary of Audi's quattro system. Here we hit the race track in 11 of the best four-wheel-drive cars has ever made...
Quattro has turned 30! And to celebrate the firm’s groundbreaking four-wheel-drive system Audi will unveil the new RS5 at the Geneva Motor Show. Read about the new RS5 here.
Auto Express has joined the party too. We’ve gathered 11 of the greatest quattro models ever produced for this exclusive feature.
Despite the brand's complex history. the German firm has emerged as one of the world’s leading prestige car makers. And its recent success has been largely thanks to its famed quattro four-wheel-drive models. Audi’s 4WD technology has it all, giving superb traction, accomplished handling ability and improved safety, plus it has a motorsport pedigree. In this special feature, we look at some of the most exciting 4WD cars to wear the four-ringed badge – and, we rank them.
From the original Quattro to the stunning R8, this line-up is our salute to 30 years of all-wheel-drive Audis.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingAudi's new RS5 has been launched on the 30th anniversary of Audi's quattro system. Here we hit the race track in 11 of the best four-wheel-drive cars has ever made...
- 2Audi UR QuattroOne of the first passenger cars to feature four wheel drive, the UR Quattro's engine, looks and handling propelled it to legendary status
- 3Audi Rally QuattroAfter transforming rallying for good, the Rally Quattro went on to win just about everything - with up to 600bhp under the bonnet
- 4Audi Sport QuattroThe 2.1-litre engine in the Sport Quattro produces 307bhp and shoots it to 60mph in 4.8 seconds. Not bad for 1984, or now for that matter
- 5Audi S2 CoupeSmoother S2 was a major departure from original Quattro.
- 6Audi RS2 AvantPorsche and Audi joined forces and engineered the 315bhp RS2 Avant. Less than 3000 were made and even fewer were RHD.
- 7Audi A4 Touring CarFielding an all-wheel drive Audi in the BTCC gave it the notoriety it deserved. It also got 4WD cars banned from entering ever again.
- 8Audi TT SportThe lighter, tuned TT Sport turned the already great TT into a proper drivers' car
- 9Audi RS4 AvantA spiritual successor to the Porsche-tuned RS2, the RS4 Avant blends supercar power with estate practicality
- 10Audi RS6The most powerful production Audi ever belongs in this list for that reason alone
- 11Audi TTSExtra power, sharper steering and better dynamics add extra thrills to the already superb TT
- 12Audi R8Fantastic handling, outstanding performance and looks that stop traffic, the R8 is an outstanding car