Hyundai Kona Electric - Best electric cars
Hyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- Price £27,111-£37,611
- Range 180-278 miles
- Charging time: 6h 30 min-10h 15 min (wallbox), 50 min/44 min (10-80%, 50kW/100kW)
- Rating: 4/5
We weren’t exactly fans of the regular Kona when we first tested it, but our views changed when we tried the pure-electric version. More than two years on, and this is still one of our favourite EVs, with funky styling and, if you opt for the larger 64kWh battery, a range of 278 miles. Recent upgrades have boosted the infotainment system too, giving the Kona Electric a proper widescreen display for the first time.
But more importantly prices start from just over £30,000, after the Government's Plug-in Car Grant, which makes it one of the more competitively priced EVs on sale.
If there’s a downside, it’s the fact that the Kia e-Niro has much of the same technology in a slightly larger package that brings greater practicality; the Kona is just about big enough to be a family car, but you could end up cursing the boot space. However, as an urban runabout that requires charging every other week, it takes some beating.
Best electric cars to buy 2020
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-NiroKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Kia Soul EVFunky looking Kia Soul EV injects a bit of quirkiness to electric car market
- 65. Hyundai Kona Electric - currently readingHyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- 76. Renault ZoeThe Renault Zoe is one of the cheapest EVs but also one of the best
- 87. Polestar 2Polestar's second electric car aims to take the fight to the Tesla Model 3
- 98. Tesla Model STesla's Model S shows little signs of ageing with outstanding range and practicality
- 109. Peugeot e-208The Peugeot e-208 brings electric sophistication to the supermini segment
- 1110. Mercedes EQCFirst Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent