8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
In this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
In this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road. Known as the ‘Pursuit Special’ or ‘V8 Interceptor’ in the movie, the Falcon XB was almost unrecognisable due to the extent of the modifications.
Along with an enormous supercharger sticking out of the bonnet, the Falcon was finished in all black, with chunky tyres, covered lights and huge pipe organ exhausts protruding from the sides. The car makes a return in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, but it looks way past its prime. It was modified further to cope with driving in such a harsh landscape and was even booby trapped in case anyone tried to pinch it. It also appeared briefly in the latest Mad Max movie Fury Road, before being crushed by two trucks.
The Ford Falcon is a stalwart car of the brand’s Australian range, with the name being linked to anything from a two-door sports car to a family-friendly estate. The Falcon today is similar to the Ford Mondeo in Europe, but the Austrailan counterpart has much larger engines in its range. The Falcon ‘XB’ series was built between 1973 and 1976 and, again, encompassed saloons, station wagons, ‘utes’ and of course the two-door hardtop that featured in Mad Max. Its closest rival would have been the similarly V8-powered Holden Monaro, a car that eventually made it to the UK in 2005 badged as a Vauxhall.
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- • 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- • 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- • 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- • 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- • 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- • 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- • 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- • 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- • 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- • 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
- 1IntroductionWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - GhostbustersWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang BangNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max - currently readingIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future