Ford Focus review - Reliability and safety
The Ford Focus gets top marks for safety and should prove to be a reliable family car
The Focus is built on an all-new C2 platform, although we’re led to believe it shares knowledge and some technology with the underpinnings that have proven such a hit under the Fiesta in recent years. Even so, the new architecture does bring some risks on reliability – but at least the majority of the engines in the line-up are reasonably well-proven.
The Focus finished in 72nd place (out of 75 cars) in our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, while Ford itself finished a disappointing 25th out of 29 manufacturers - only just ahead of Fiat, Dacia, Citroen and MG.
The new Focus has been tested by Euro NCAP’s crash-test team and scored a full five stars. It achieved 85% for adult protection and 87% for child occupant safety.
You can spec the optional Driver Assist Pack which brings adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, lane centring and automatic main beam headlight functions. Other kit on offer includes evasive steering assist, blind spot monitoring with cross traffic alert, inflatable seatbelts and pre-collision assist with pedestrian and cyclist detection.
The Focus comes with Ford’s standard warranty, which is over an industry standard of three years but does stretch to 60,000 miles during that period, which is on the generous side. Ford also offers the chance to extend cover to four years/80,000 miles and five years/100,000 miles.
Ford offers its Protect Service Plan, which includes payment plans for scheduled services, along with extended Ford Assistance roadside cover. The Ford Protect Service Plan can be purchased any time before the first service is due.
In this review
- 1Ford Focus reviewThe Ford Focus is a great-handling family hatchback that matches its rivals on interior quality and cabin space
- 2Engines, performance and driveOffering typically superb handling, the Focus is more fun than a family car has any right to be
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsThe Focus has great fuel economy, is reasonable to insure and doesn't fare too badly come resale time
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Focus's interior quality is very good, while new infotainment system is slick and easy to use
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThere's plenty of space in the Ford Focus cabin - and the boot should be just about big enough to cope with family life
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe Ford Focus gets top marks for safety and should prove to be a reliable family car