Best used compact executive cars
The Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used compact executive car: Jaguar XE
Prices from: £10,995Our pick: Jaguar X 2016 (16) 2.0d 180 Auto Prestige, 35,244 miles, £16,995
The Jaguar XE has picked up a glut of Auto Express awards. It has previously landed our Best Compact Executive Car award at the New Car Awards, it was our Best Used Compact Executive Car last year – and it’s our champion again in 2018.
That’s because you can buy an XE from as little as £11,000, which is excellent value for a car that’s great to drive, rides nicely and offers sound efficiency.
We’d recommend spending a little more and going for a newer, lower-mileage car. The 2016 model we’ve chosen had covered just over 35,000 miles, but even then the Jag should still have plenty of life left in it.
It’s the 178bhp 2.0-litre turbodiesel Ingenium engine that’s the best bet. There’s a good spread of power, and although it’s noisy if revved hard, the eight-speed automatic gearbox shifts smoothly, keeping a lid on the engine and improving refinement.
The highlight is the way the XE handles and rides. The steering makes the car feel pointy and alert, but not nervous, while the suspension controls roll well and serves up acceptable ride comfort. Just watch out for cars fitted with larger optional wheels.
Smart styling even in Prestige trim means it looks great, so it’s difficult to tell its age, and in this guise the XE returns a claimed 67.3mpg, with CO2 emissions of just 109g/km. In practice you can expect between 45 and 50mpg, which makes it a frugal family machine.
You might struggle to find one at this price with much warranty left, and Jaguar’s reliability record isn’t great, but set a sum aside for maintenance and the XE should be a sound financial choice. There are also more high-mileage XEs starting to crop up, but we’d hold out for one that’s covered fewer miles; there are lots for sale.
On the road: Handling and ride are XE highlights, while performance, steering and economy are good.
Interior: Premium cabin looks the part and can be had with heated seats. The level of kit is decent as well.
Just £1,700 down gets you one of the finest-handling junior executive saloons on the market for a scarcely-believable £280 per month on PCP finance.
As with all PCP deals, there’ll be a balloon payment at the end of the term, but for £11,780 in total over three years, you won’t find a more affordable deal paying monthly on a used car, especially one that as good as the Jaguar.
BMW 3 Series Mk6
There might be a new BMW 3 Series on the way, but the outgoing model is still a great used buy. It’s even better to drive than the XE and because it’s been on sale longer, there are thousands to choose from. You should be able to bag your chosen trim level and engine. We’d pick a 320d M Sport auto.
Alfa Romeo 159
Yes, buying a used Alfa Romeo has the potential to end in disaster. But given how much the 159 saloon costs, and how good it looks, even in full knowledge of the pitfalls it’s still a tempting proposition. Go for a V6 petrol-engined model for the full Italian hit; just don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive cars - currently readingThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018