Volvo V90 - Best estate cars
The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
Volvo has a long history of building spacious family estate cars. Models like the 240 and 850 delivered function more than form, but they have been trusted by families over the years to deliver safe, secure driving manners.
But the V90 adds a new level of quality to the mix, too. It uses the same platform as the XC90, and its styling is similar, too, although the low-slung estate is arguably more stylish. Either way, a 560-litre boot is nice and large, with a 1,526-litre capacity with the back seats folded.
Still, there aren't many more spacious family estates on the market. Safety is a major plus point with the V90, too, with plenty of autonomous tech added to the mix. There are petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid versions available.
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 2Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 3BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 4Toyota Corolla Touring SportsThe Toyota Corolla Touring Sports is an extremely competent package, with efficient engines and great residuals.
- 5Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 6Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 7Audi A6 AvantAudi's A6 mixes premium luxury with serious load-lugging capability
- 8Volvo V90 - currently readingThe V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 9Ford Focus EstateThe Ford Focus Estate delivers a fun-driving and family-friendly option at a sensible price
- 10Peugeot 508 SWThe versatile Peugeot 508 SW offers flexible and spacious practicality with a premium-feel interior
- 11VW Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate